Monday, March 2, 2009

Another Mom Chimes in with some great tips....

OK....I got back on the computer after about a week. I'm in a slightly different situation because of where I live, but we lived in suburbia for a decade, and I'm from Orange Co., so those roots are deep. We live on a ranch now, and that brings its own challenges. We have a large family garden. We have before and will this year, grown enough to can for the winter. Its kind of fun. Brandon really liked the blueberry peach jam I made one year. Look forward to it again this year....During the Depression, my Grandmother used to tell me about the Victory Gardens that Eleanor Roosevelt (sp?) promoted for families to help themselves. It was a hugh success, as everyone was living on government 'coupons' for sugar, gas, meat, (yes your meat from your butcher/market), etc. All those things that were in really short supply. And there was no money or work. The Great Dust Bowl was going on then, and farmers couldn't produce enought to live on themselves. Similar to the Central Valley in CA, which produces more that 50% of the entire nations produce. Its has had to cut production from 20-50% of its entire production. Things will be very scarce and expensive. The idea of a family compost pile and garden that someone brought up (I'm sorry I don't remember who, and it will take time to go thru the whole thing again!) is excellant. Your water bill will be higher, and I know Riverside just put in mandatory water rationing for western Riverside Co., and the drought may bring this situation on to most of So. Cal., so we'll see. We are on 2 wells, so we are ok....unless we have well problems.... Check out your local Farmers Markets also, esp. if produce shipped in becomes sparse. The farmers prices will go down with the economy, and you may be able to find things you won't be as able to at the big supermarkets. Plus a lot of this stuff will be shipped in from Mexico, and with the standards they have, and the current unrest they have there, this is personally very scary to me. Also stuff comes from So. America, where again the standards aren't anywhere what we just naturally expect from our government. If you have enough people close to you that have a garden, you can even pool ideas of what to grow and trade. We have a large flock of chickens, a dairy cow (and new calf), and neighbors who will exchange for pigs, goats or sheep. We have several acres planted in pasture for the spring, but contingent on rains. I have way to many horses, who are very expensive to keep, but half of them are rescues, and it they go to auction they will surely go to slaughter. Actually the cow was a rescue, and turned into a wonderful addition, considering the current economic situation. I watch this very carefully, because its even hit my husband's company. Her milk is wonderful (we were already very heavy milk drinkers), and her cheese and butter are as well. My grandmother told me that a lot of the city dwellers also had a few chickens and some raised rabbits (for meat) in their backyards to trade for stuff they couldn't get. I don't think you could get away with it today, but we'll see how bad things actually get. I shop in bulk at Sam's Club, and other places similar......because we live a ways out and running to the grocery store or Wal Greens is not the best option. But I save a lot of $. And shopping time. Get online and there are quite a few really good recipe sites. I cook according to whats in season or what was a good price. Plus I always have certain staples on hand. Rice, beans, flour, yeast, potatoes, onions. And lots of different canned things. I have a lot of good tried and true recipes that I'll get back online with and send. Right now I've got to get outside and plant and weed, and rake, and it goes on and on........

No comments:

Post a Comment